Your senior loved one has worked hard for their retirement. Assisted living communities provide social interaction, and a productive and safe lifestyle, safety, as well as the right support for seniors who may require some assistance. Many communities offer a variety of amenities, such as beauty services, gourmet dining, and fitness centers. Many seniors find that assisted living communities offer convenience, happiness, and a better quality of life. These seven benefits of assisted living communities will help you understand how your relative can enjoy happiness and good health.
The boredom is gone!
Seniors may feel overwhelmed after retirement. They can use these extra hours to pursue their passions or learn new hobbies. There are many activities that can appeal to everyone, which is one of the greatest benefits of assisted living.
Seniors receive help when they need it
Activities of daily living (ADLs) is one of the most important benefits of assisted living. This could be anything from assistance with dressing to bathing every day. If an older person is able to move in independently but requires more care over time, assistance can be arranged quickly on-site. Assisted living communities offer many health benefits.
- Caregivers are available to help. A caregiver or nurse can assist you with many daily activities such as bathing and escorting residents around to restaurants and other activities.
- Management of medication. Prescription management is essential to ensure seniors receive the correct medications at the right time. This helps prevent dangerous mismanagement.
- Senior care coordination. Seniors can be transported to their appointments, and have access to some medical services on-site. Staff members and nurses can also evaluate any health issues.
- Trained staff and on-call nurses. Staff members can be reached for assistance and are trained to transport patients to the nearest hospital.
The risk of developing dementia and long-term cognitive decline may be reduced by mental stimulation. Assisted living facilities offer many benefits, including the possibility of lifelong learning. Seniors have many opportunities to keep engaged, including lending libraries, language classes, and woodworking workshops. Community offers:
- Ways to fight dementia. Community members have access to brain games and stimulating resources that slow down cognitive decline.
- Academic activities. Local professors and guest lecturers may visit assisted living communities to talk about topics such as art history or flower arrangement. Some communities can even be located on campus.
- Tech support. Seniors can get technical assistance from community staff, including personal tablets and computer rooms.
Safety features designed for seniors
Assistive living facilities provide seniors with safety and health benefits. This is one reason caregivers are encouraged to find a new home for their loved ones. Safety-related benefits of assisted living facilities include:
- Reduce fall risk. Falls can cause serious injuries and complications for seniors. With ramps, flat thresholds, and handrails in hallways, assisted living communities in Myrtle Beach are built for mobility and accessibility.
- Safer bathrooms. Bathrooms with raised toilets, walk-in showers that are specially designed, and grab bars inside the bathroom reduce the chance of falling.
- On-call staff. In assisted living apartments, there are emergency call buttons that can be used to notify staff of injuries or falls. Seniors don’t need to worry about trying to reach help or waiting for help after an emergency at home.
Increased security features
Security risks may be greater for seniors who live alone. Some security features that assisted living communities offer include:
- Security officers and alarms. Seniors are common targets for scammers and break-ins. Senior living communities use alarm systems and security companies to give them peace of mind.
- Disaster preparation. Senior citizens who are aging in place should check smoke detectors and install carbon monoxide alarms. They also need to replace fire extinguishers. They might need to seek safety for themselves in the event of an emergency, such as a tornado, earthquake or fire. Seniors can receive assisted living benefits such as disaster plans and prepared staff to assist them in an emergency.
A healthy, restaurant-style dining experience
Seniors living at home may have special nutritional needs. Seniors, family members, and meal delivery service providers may have to prepare healthy, balanced meals.
You can live a more active life without having to exert as much effort
Lack of exercise can cause mental and physical decline. Seniors can be more active and have a lower chance of falling if they aren’t getting enough exercise. Being active can help seniors stay healthy and improve their cognitive function. It’s also a great way to make new friends.
Call Reflections Assisted Living at Carolina Forest now if you’re looking for an assisted living community in Myrtle Beach.
Like our Facebook page for more great info about assisted living facilities.